[NCLUG] Configuring Telnet on RH6.2

Martin Gelfand gelfand at lamar.ColoState.EDU
Sat Dec 2 09:28:13 MST 2000

> Hello Admirers_of_Penguins,
>
> I loaded RH6.2 on a box here and have been attempting to turn on
> telnet.  I set /etc/hosts.allow to ALL:ALL, fooled with /etc/inetd.conf
> (the telnet service line was there and uncommented out), restarted inet
> a few times, even rebooted a couple of times.  I still get "Connection
> closed by foreign host" even when I telnet to myself.
>
> Any suggestions?

Some basic questions....

* Is the telnet daemon installed?  Does its name match the
  inetd.conf entry?

* Is there anything in the logfiles associated with the attempts to connect?

* What happens if you start the telnet daemon by hand, in
  debug mode?

Regards,
Marty Gelfand
Dept of Physics, Colorado State