[NCLUG] Perspective on election processes Risks Digest 21.13

Matt Rosing rosing at peakfive.com
Sun Dec 10 13:46:10 MST 2000

>The RISKS folks explicitely condemn people using the current problems
>in Florida to move to electronic systems.

I didn't see that anywhere. What I did read, as Evelyn mentioned, is
that it's not a simple problem. I also read:

   Rebecca also considers a proposal for an auditable paper trail of each
   electronic ballot that is verified by each voter before leaving ...

This is what got me thinking about recycled computers, printers, and
scanners. A computer printed ballot would be easier for both humans
and machines to read than either purely manual, punch cards, or even
the ballots used in Colorado.  Recounts would be simple and Buchanan
wouldn't get votes he probably didn't deserve

>So basicly it would be like the current system, but would require software,
>computers, and printers?  Hmm...

Nearly all systems in the U.S. already use computers somewhere, the
code is proprietary, and plenty of problems have been found in that
code according to the RISKS web site.  Even the code to read the punch
cards was screwed up in the '88 Senate race in Florida.

But, since this obviously can't be solved at an internet bar after
watching The Matrix, I give up.

Matt