[NCLUG] Hacking session in January

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Dec 11 13:43:37 MST 2000

On Sat, Dec 09, 2000 at 02:55:11PM -0700, Quent wrote:
>Sounds pretty cool!  What sort of project do you have in mind?

I was just figuring people would hack on whatever they had around to hack
on, and if somone wanted to help on something, they could choose the
available projects.  Trying to organize a group of folks to work on
a particular project is hard to do.  Do you have any suggestions?
I've got a few projects that we're releasing open-source soon here,
which could use some variety of work on them...

>Falling Rock is in Denver, right?  That's a bit closer to my nearly
>Northern-Colorado location.

Down-town Denver.

>I have been meaning to look into wireless networking. Anyone have any
>tips on PCMCIA cards, PCI cards, hubs/stations or whatever they're called?

Well, I picked up a set of the Addtron PCMCIA cards which use the Prism2
chipset, and I would have to say that the driver for them is far from
complete.  The only way I've gotten it to work is using one of the Addtron
access points.  I can't get them to work as an access point on their
own, and the drivers don't seem to support Adhoc mode at all.

I don't recommend them -- in fact I'm thinking about sending them back.
They work great with the access point, but that's it.  They certainly
were cheap though, $110 for the cards and $240 for the Access Point.
Oh, range on them seems to be pretty limited too.

Kevin has the Wavelan cards, and they seem to work great.  The driver for
them is in the stock RedHat 7.0 even.  They're around $160 per card.

 When the law supports you, pound the law.  When the facts support you, pound
 the facts.  If neither, pound the table.  Bush supporters are rioting...