[NCLUG] VNC?

James DeWitt jdewitt at verinet.com
Mon Dec 11 18:47:26 MST 2000

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 05:22:35AM -0700, Luke Light wrote:
> >thinking maybe VNC could help me out, but I am not sure of its capabilites
> >with the keyboard / mouse.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to
> >go about doing this?
>
> VNC *IS* an X server -- you run it on your Linux box and then attach to it.
> Stuff running under it is going to display 10:0 IIRC.  You can attach to it
> equally well from your Windows machine, or from a remote location (assuming
> reasonable bandwidth).
>
> It will not give you a copy of the display on the Linux machine (unless the
> Linux machine is also running the vnc client), but it will give you
> persistant access to the windows there.  It's like "screen", but more
> GUI.
>
> Sean
> --
I haven't used this too much, but let me try this...

Yes, it creates several virtual display sessions that you can
connect to sort of like an XDMCP session. You can specify the :n
display number.  Don't forget to set vncpasswd!

You can  connect with the WinVNC client and get the
whole desktop including background, icons and control bar.
This seems to be configured in the ~/.vnc directory - by
default, mine is execing the systemwide xinitrc file.  So,
you don't get what is on display :0, but a fresh new session.

Yes, this is cool - particularly if your linux desktop
size is smaller than the VNC client machine's screen.

JD