[NCLUG] VNC?

MEDBERRY,DAVID (HP-Loveland,ex1) david_medberry at hp.com
Tue Dec 12 08:29:29 MST 2000

(FROM THE DEAD HORSE DEPT.)

All of the following re: VNC is true. However, it is very simple to make
your "primary" desktop also VNC.

Run VNC Server with your normal window manager (gnome, fvwm, kde, etc):
vncserver :1
Run X on your localhost:1.0 (no window manager) but also start vncviewer
localhost:1

Now you can view this same thing from your Win machine via WinVNC.

(You can even use shared mode.)

(Of course, you don't even need to run X on the server--you can just have it
come up in console mode then use VNC for ordinary functions. You won't have
access to the consoles though.)

Lastly, I run (and recommend) a combination of the two approaches (assuming
the machines are physically collocated.) Use a switch box when you have to
have physical control of the Linux (or Windows) machine but 99% of the time
use VNC. Also this approach works from either machine--you can have the
Linux machine be your primary and view your Win machine from within Linux
with VNC. However this doesn't work well for gaming.

-dave