[NCLUG] Display variables

Neil Doane caine at valinux.com
Sun Dec 17 16:34:15 MST 2000

* Matt Taggart (matt at lackof.org) [001217 12:46]:

> Neil Doane writes...
>
> > Another easy way around this is to simply ssh root at localhost, (or ssh -X
> > root at localhost if you use OpenSSH).  This will also forward your X11 display
> > info automatically.
>
> Debian (which uses OpenSSH) by default has "PermitRootLogin no" set in
> /etc/ssh/sshd_config which prevents this. This is consistant with not allowing
> root logins across the network. There might be a way to turn it on only for
> localhost. I don't know what Red Hat does.

True, true.  There are probably ways around this if you were really
security-minded (you could run another sshd on the localhost interface and
allow root logins on it maybe, for example, or maybe use PAM).  I dunno, I
personally tend to be less stringent on security practices for my gaming
boxes and usually set PermitRootLogin to yes.  *shrug* :)

Neil