[NCLUG] getpath?

Mike Loseke mike at verinet.com
Wed Dec 20 16:47:26 MST 2000

Thus spake adj at ccltd.com:

> >  Nope, they aren't in sh-utils unless they are well hidden.
> >
> >  I think I'm just going to copy them into my new tree and just note the
> > fact that they are really really old.
>
> There are two matches for "getpath" at
> http://sources.isc.org/search.perl.  That's the handy dandy
> comp.sources.unix search engine I just stumbled across 10 minutes ago.
> Both matches seem to be uucp related, but are more than old enough to
> be possibilities.
>
> What do these programs do?

 Wacky things to (or for) $PATH. getpath look for parallel paths denoted by
a given suffix (default of man) and can be used like this:

setenv MANPATH "`getpath`"

 ..and strippath removes inaccessable paths or files from a colon delimited
list (or other given delimiter). Kinda neat, especially the usage above for
setting your $MANPATH.

 Thanks for the pointer to the site above, I'll have to give it a whirl.

--
   Mike Loseke    | ... Logically incoherent, semantically
 mike at verinet.com | incomprehensible, and legally ... impeccable!