[NCLUG] I was hacked!

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Sat Dec 30 00:47:55 MST 2000

On 29 Dec 2000 at 22:08:59, dobbster modified my mailspool to say:

> Thanks for the feedback, Michael - I feel a bit more comfortable now.  I
> have a tendency for being PARANOID, which is hopefully an asset.

Yes... every good sysadmi^H^H^H^HBOFH needs to have that side to them.

> imapd is off, but portmapper is on.  Still, it seems that portsentry is
> blocking outsiders from hitting it.

I may be missing something, but is there a reason you have portmapper on?
Are you using NFS (Not-Fscking-Stable) or NIS (Network-Insecurity-System)?

If not, portmapper can probably go bye bye.

Later,
Paul