[NCLUG] I was hacked!

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Sat Dec 30 17:26:38 MST 2000

On 29 Dec 2000 at 21:30:18, Rob Gorman modified my mailspool to say:

> I have always turned it off because I couldn't figure out any other reason
> for being there.

Portmapper is used for any RPC service, but I've only seen it used for NFS,
NIS, and their related services such as the NFS locking daemon, the NFS
quota daemon and the NIS password changing daemon.

> Why does it get installed when you don't install NFS or NIS?

Probably because both NFS, NIS and their related services rely on it, and
thus it gets selected as part of the dependency check, but since it's its
own package, if you don't expressly deselect the portmapper package when
you deselect NFS/NIS, it gets installed, in RHAT at least.

Later,
Paul