[NCLUG] choosing a distrib

Matt Taggart taggart at carmen.fc.hp.com
Thu Nov 2 15:41:27 MST 2000

Prescott Oelke writes...

> On Thu, 02 Nov 2000 12:51:04 -0700, nclug at nclug.org wrote:
>
> >  for newbies, redhat is probably good, and also krud. i've never used
> debian,
> >  but what about good old fashioned slackware?
> >

> I don't know if I would push slackware at a new Linux user. I personally
> like to steer them towards Caldera. That being said I have used SuSE for
> most of my linux time and I love it (less so now that they've split it into
> two packages).

I also agree with newbies avoiding Slackware or Debian initially. I love
Debian but it's not for newbies, unless you like cliff-type learning curves
initially, or have someone nearby to help you learn. The only time I recommend
Debian to a newbie is when I know I'll be around and have the time to help
them learn the ropes.

Instead I'd recomment a RedHat based distro like KRUD or maybe Mandrake. I
don't like Caldera's stance wrt to Open Source(they tend to be more closed
IMHO). I can't say anything about their distro since I haven't used it.

$.02

--
Matt Taggart
taggart at fc.hp.com