[NCLUG] Networking Questions - Routing, Bridging....

Richard Smerker rsmerker at rasolutions.net
Fri Nov 3 10:18:05 MST 2000

I am hoping that this isnt too stupid a question for the
list, and sorry if its a tad off topic - I am hoping some
of you more familiar with network do's and dont's can
shed some light on my situation!

I have the following now :

4 Port Cisco 776 ISDN Router --> 10/100 Switch --> My Network

I have 1 static IP which the Cisco takes, and uses PAT
to delegate my internal network (10.0.0.x)  But this 776
doesnt handle dynamic UDP port assignments, and
therefore I have to find another routing solution.  (I have
to be able to do video conferencing which needs Dynamic UDP)
But I want to keep the 776 in the loop because
it gives my 2 POTS ports, and I have written a ton of Line
Management, data crunching, and call tracking tools which
interface directly with it.  Here is what I wanted to do :

776 --> Linux Router --> 10/100 Switch --> My Network

I want to have the 776 simply relay or bridge the traffic from
the ISP untouched to the Linux box.  My question is, can it
work that way?  If the 776 is going to be a bridge, does it
need an IP address itself?  Is there a way I can do this with
1 IP address, or would I need 2, or a block of 4 from the
ISP (To have my own subnet).

With the nitty gritty of the configuration of the Cisco aside,
I am wondering if this is possible with 1 IP, or if there is
some networking basic I am missing here, cause I am a lil
fuzzy.

Any help or throwing of cabbage and tomatoes is appreciated!

Rich