[NCLUG] Looking for user reviews and installation CD-ROMs

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Mon Nov 6 20:53:59 MST 2000

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, J. Paul Reed wrote:

> >  Can anyone comment about the merits/demerits of
> > the following distributions:
> > . Redhat 7.0
>
> Don't bother w/ RHAT 7.0; I've heard nothing but... unflattering things
> about 7.0, which is to be expected from RHAT.

Goodness -- Please don't rely on 'heard' -- Pull and burn the
ISOs, or do a ftp upgrade or install ... Decide for yourself.

The slashdotters who did not read the install README, and
never miss a chance to criticize did their thing -- but I've
installed it maybe 40 times, both in upgrade and new install
situations, without a hitch.

The updates released after the CD's went 'gold' are either
subsequently released by the glibc group (notoriously slow),
or security related, on in just one case outside the beta test
hardware (a certain hardware raid controller).  With autorpm
and a accessible mirror, the updates take 5 minutes ...

I think of it as RH 6.3 -- rock stable, and the last pre-2.4
kernel release --

I use it; I recommend it; I support it.  It just works.

--
end

   Owl River Company  614 - 221 - 0695
   "The World is Open to Linux (tm)"