[NCLUG] Looking for user reviews and installation CD-ROMs

S. Luke Jones luke at sixthdimension.com
Tue Nov 7 11:55:01 MST 2000

On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 10:03:33AM -0700, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> >Have you actually done this, or is that something from their webpage? If
> >so, I'd agree that it is, but considering I couldn't even install RHAT 5.2
> >on a 486, much less get it updated to 6.2... I dunno...
>
> Just to clarify, there's nothing preventing 5.2 from running on a 486 -- I
> have installed 5.2 on several 486s to run as low-end web servers, and they
> do a great job of it.

My company -- well, the company that employs me -- uses a
RH derived OS (used to be a vendor-supplied 5.2, now a
specially hardened version developed by a top-flight
Linux consulting firm from I believe the late 6.x series)
on any number of 486-based single board computers. The
stock machine has 32 MB RAM and a 40 or 48 MB disks, but
we also use it on a test array of salvage 486 laptops
that have 16 and 24 MB configurations.

No huhu. Works like a champ.

Until, that is, we add java. (shudder) If you're old enough
try to remember what it was like when someone brought up
emacs on a VAX.
--
Luke Jones