[NCLUG] symbolic links

Daniel Herrington daniel.herrington at home.com
Wed Nov 15 15:09:12 MST 2000

Ken,

You'll probably get multiple replies to this, but here goes mine...

1.  As root, create a directory on your first disk in /, called /opt.
    cd /
    mkdir opt

2.  Run fdisk /dev/hdb (or whatever name your added disk is), and
    create a linux native partition (type 83 if I remember right).

3.  Run mke2fs /dev/hdb1 (or kmke2fs on RedHat 6.2) to create an ext2
    filesystem on the new partition.

4.  Mount the new disk at the newly created mount point:
    mount /dev/hdb1 /opt

5.  Add the mount info to your existing /etc/fstab to make it
    permanent after a reboot:
    vi /etc/fstab
    (add line as follows)
    /dev/hdb1  /opt  ext2  defaults  1 2

That's it.  Have I left anything out, anyone?

Regards,
   Daniel

--
Daniel Herrington, KC0IFV
http://members.home.net/daniel.herrington/

=> Replying to ken's message, "[NCLUG] symbolic links" (Nov 15):