[NCLUG] symbolic links

S. Luke Jones luke at frii.com
Wed Nov 15 21:45:32 MST 2000

Matt Taggart wrote:
> > Do I have to use a hard link...?
> > Or is it not possible to link between partitions....?
>
> Hard links have to be in the same filesystem. A hard link is just a pointer
> to a file already on the disk. For example,
>
> -rw-r--r--    2 taggart  taggart         0 Nov 15 15:00 bar
> -rw-r--r--    2 taggart  taggart         0 Nov 15 15:00 foo

I believe also that only the superuser can create a hard link
for a directory:

	$ mkdir foo
	$ ln foo bar
	ln: foo: hard link not allowed for directory
	$ su -c "ln foo bar"

I have no idea what the result of that command is. Probably
you'll just trash the free list and mangle your superblock.
But the outcome might be something particularly unpleasant,
so before I got out the big hammer, I'd, uh, wait for the SGI
journaling filesystem to be integrated into the 2.2 kernel.

--
Luke Jones = luke/vortex/frii/fullstop/com