[NCLUG] Netscape Instability

dobbster dobbster at frii.com
Mon Nov 20 13:55:38 MST 2000

Hi,

For a long time I've been surviving with this issue, and I was wondering
if anyone out there knows the solution.  Somehow I sense I can't be the
only one who has seen this.

The problem is simple: Every once in a while, Netscape Communicator
freezes up on me while I am browsing the web, and I have to kill it.  I
can't see any consistency to this behavior; it almost appears random.
I've tried different versions of Netscape 4.6-4.7 but they all seem to
have this problem.  I've also tried different kernels/distributions,
based on either Redhat 5.2-6.2 or Mandrake 6/7.  The behavior is the
same, even on "out of the box" configured distributions.  Occasionally
the X server itself seems to lock up and I have to ctrl+alt+backspace.

It appears the problem has something to do with ld-linux.so.2, which is
presumably a shared library used by Netscape.  I also wonder if it has
something to do with DNS lookups.  Honestly, though, I have no clue.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark (dobbster at frii.com)