[NCLUG] Netscape Instability

adj at ccltd.com adj at ccltd.com
Mon Nov 20 16:51:16 MST 2000

> Yeah, except that squid's works.  ;-) It seems like the entire
> Netscape will hang during a connection attempt -- perhaps it's not
> caused by the DNS lookup but instead by something else, But it sure
> seems to hang up the entire thing something.

Probably using blocking connect(2)s then.  Set up squid, set up
junkbuster pointing at your squid (that sounds vulgar), point Netscape
at your junkbuster.  This gets connect(2) done right away (Netscape is
talking to junkbuster instead of waiting for a TCP connection with
some machine goddess-knows-where).  And squid does sane non-blocking
network I/O with whatever you're trying to connect to.

> >Javascript hasn't caused me too many browser lock up type problems
> >aside from the odd infinite loop in the javascript itself.  And
> >Netscape's CSS support is implemented in Javascript.
>
> I hate those sites that pop up new browser window.  Gak.

But you don't need Javascript to do that.  This will get you a nice
shiny new browser window in just about anything but lynx:

<a target="_new" href="http://www.tummy.com/">Click here to see
www.tummy.com in a new window</a>

> Yeah, though I haven't had as many memory leak problems with
> netscape in the last few months...  It's probably fixed.

After mine have run for 10 - 14 days, I find it too huge to live.
Mostly it has died on its own before that happens, though.

Aaron
--
MTS, tummy.com, ltd.
Linux and UNIX Consulting and Software