[NCLUG] ssh2 - hostbased authentications

dobbster dobbster at frii.com
Mon Nov 27 18:25:09 MST 2000

Hi,

I've been grappling in the dark with this for days now...  I am very
puzzled and would be grateful for any suggestions.

I am trying to figure out how to rsync directories over ssh.  The
problem I seem to have is using the "hostbased" authentication with
sshd2.  I figure this is the only way that I can cron my rsync's,
because otherwise I would have to use a password.  (Is there a better
way...?)

Following the man pages, I created the hostkey.pub file on my "local"
system, and copied this file to
/etc/ssh2/knownhosts/192.168.0.1.ssh-dss.pub on the "remote" system.
(Obviously this is not the real IP address!)

Next, I created a /root/.shosts on the remote system with one line,
"192.168.0.1 root".

In /etc/ssh2/sshd2_config, I have 'AllowedAuthentications hostbased'.

One more thing:  The "local" system's IP address is not associated with
a FQDN.  This is why I used the IP address in the .pub file.  On the
other hand, I've also tried this with the local system's hostname
'system1' and entered '192.168.0.1 system1' into /etc/hosts on the
"remote" system, and copied the "local" hostkey.pub to the "remote"
/etc/ssh2/knownhosts/system1.ssh-dss.pub.  Still no luck.

Running  /usr/local/sbin/sshd2 -v gives me this eventual result:

debug: Sshd2/sshd2.c:349/auth_policy_proc: user 'root' service
'ssh-connection' client_ip '192.168.0.1' client_port '2721' completed ''
debug: Sshd2/sshd2.c:476/auth_policy_proc: output: hostbased
debug: Ssh2Common/sshcommon.c:132/ssh_common_disconnect: DISCONNECT
received: No further authentication methods available.
sshd2[989]: Remote host disconnected: No further authentication methods
available.
debug: Sshd2/sshd2.c:95/server_disconnect: locally_generated = FALSE
sshd2[989]: no more authentication methods on remote: 'No further
authentication methods available.'
debug: Exiting event loop

Any ideas?  Am I completely clueless?

Thanks,