[NCLUG] Cable @home questions

Mark Smith markcs at CS.ColoState.EDU
Wed Oct 11 23:19:12 MDT 2000

Bill,
I'm not exactly wure what's goin on, but my guess is that you've got the
modem workin in windows, but not linux.  Is that right?  Anyway, if it is,
something that might snag you is that @home requires you to already have a
hostname when requesting an ip via dhcp.  I don't think the name ever
changes (at least mine hasn't in 2 1/2 months), so what you can do if this
is the case is set up the hostname they have given you as the host of the
computer you're using.  It should be somethin like this:
<hostname>.ftclns1.co.home.com.
Also, I'm not sure how you're calling dhcp, but this is what I use:
/bin/dhcpcd eth0 -h <hostname>
The default line that came w/ the system I installed didn't work too well
w/ @home and I cut/pasted this from one (coyote linux) that did.
Hope that helps.  If not, let me know and maybe I can still answer any
qyestions you got :)

Mark

"Every revolution was first              "Kill the wabbit"
a thought in one man's mind."
                     -R.W. Emerson	                   -E. Fudd
Mark c. Smith				 Markcs at CS.ColoState.EDU
Dept. Computer Science                   http://WWW.CS.ColoState.EDU/~markcs
Colorado State University		 (970)491-3505 (work)