[NCLUG] Cable @home questions

Bill Thorson thorson at typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu
Thu Oct 12 00:29:34 MDT 2000

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Mark Smith wrote:

> Bill,
> I'm not exactly wure what's goin on, but my guess is that you've got the
> modem workin in windows, but not linux.  Is that right?

Actually no.  Remember I said I work and live in a Microsoft Free Zone (TM)

> Anyway, if it is, something that might snag you is that @home requires you
> to already have a hostname when requesting an ip via dhcp.  I don't think
> the name ever changes (at least mine hasn't in 2 1/2 months), so what you
> can do if this is the case is set up the hostname they have given you as
> the host of the computer you're using.  It should be somethin like this:
> <hostname>.ftclns1.co.home.com.

This would snag me.  I've never heard of such a thing but after reading
the man page I guess it does happen.

I am looking over my paperwork and don't see an obvious hostname...oh wait
....there is a thing called "HST:" followed by an uppercase alpha-numeric
string.  Would  that be it?  Could you send me a private message with
an example of yours?

> Also, I'm not sure how you're calling dhcp, but this is what I use:
> /bin/dhcpcd eth0 -h <hostname>

I'll try it.

Thanks Mark.