[NCLUG] Cable @home questions (I'M F**KED)

Mark Horning rip6 at rip6.net
Tue Oct 17 22:42:21 MDT 2000

Matt Pujol wrote:

> Bill,
>
> Cable doesn't actually suck that bad.  Just because AT&T says they don't
> support Linux doesn't mean it won't work with Linux.  They don't have
> anybody (or I guess the dummy scripts) to help you troubleshoot a Linux
> problem, they're only trained on Internet Exploder and WinXXXX.  If
> you're having trouble with an installed cable modem, be aware that
> there's a cable modem HOWTO on documentation project.  The only "trick"
> to making everything work is to set up your ethernet card with the
> static IP that's on your install paper work.  They also give you the
> network mask and the DNS address.
>
> BTW, I have my Linux box working on my cable modem doing ip masquerading
> for my Win9X laptop, so I know it's possible.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Matt
>
> Bill Thorson wrote:
>
> > This is pissing me off.  I've tried everything.  If I could
> > get DSL here (right smack dab in the middle of town) I would
> > say FU to cable and get what I really want in the first place.
> >
> > ATT @ Home would not even talk to me tonight because "they do
> > not support Linux."  Even though I was told by others on the
> > phone "sure, we support Linux."
> >
> > Cable sucks!

My cable modem works OK and I set it up with the info on the
install paperwork too. In fact I told the tech I was installing
on Linux and he moved over and I had my box setup in less than
15 min., of course their end of the service wasn't working at
the time of install. It took them two weeks, apparently getting
their install numbers is whole lot more important than installing
a working line the first time :-) I've also noticed my
bandwidth is not what it once was.....must be getting saturated
with users.
As far as getting their "helpdesk" (and I use the term loosely)
to help, don't tell them you're using Linux. Give them the
problem in more general terms (i.e M$). You've got to remember
that their tier 1 people are generally computer challenged ;-)

--

Mark Horning
rip6 at rip6.net