[NCLUG] Sub Domain Wildcard

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at alumbre-tech.com
Wed Oct 18 09:39:57 MDT 2000

Brian Stanback wrote:

> How do I set up the nameserver db file to accept wildcards for the
> subdomain. The same way usuck.com works.

You create an A record for the domain, like the first line of this
piece of my list:

;  Internal machines
alumbre-tech.com.               IN      A       204.133.237.200
alumbre-tech.com.               LOC     40 34 1 N 105 2 7 W 1505m
www.alumbre-tech.com.           IN      A       204.133.237.200
ftp.alumbre-tech.com.           IN      A       204.133.237.200

PS: The LOC record says where my server is. Info is here:
http://www.ckdhr.com/dns-loc/

> I also want to know how to set up a subdomain in my httpd.conf file. I
> know how to do this as a virtual host, but I am on a cobalt raq and don't
> know how the config gui will treat it. Maybe there is a way to add a
> subdomain within the virtual host directive?

You want a subdomain to work on the same machine?  So www.blah.com
goes to the same machine as www.foo.blah.com, but they go to a
different set of files?  I'm thinking that is pretty straight-
forward, but I have no idea how the cobalt's are run, sooo... Not
sure I can help you much.