[NCLUG] Network configuration

Quent quent at pobox.com
Wed Oct 25 22:41:34 MDT 2000

I like the packet filter/firewall tool "ipf" on OpenBSD.  The "ipnat"
gizmo is pretty nifty too.

Unlike ipchains, ipf can keep state info on ICMP, UDP and TCP.  I think
the code ports to other O/S's like Linux and Solaris. You can build a
tighter firewall with it, IMHO.

With all the excitement over embedded Linux (the current Linux Journal has
a nice supplement) I'm expecting to see some cool firewall projects. It
would be nice to build a little firewall box the size of a cheapo 4 port
hub with no moving parts. I guess I should enter their contest :-)

The Cisco 675 DSL box has packet filtering ability. For non-routed,
bridged-mode guys like me it's not useful; I'm not sure I trust it either.
Anyone have any experience with it?

Whoops, didn't mean to drive this thread down another path :-)

	Quent