[NCLUG] Network configuration

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Wed Oct 25 23:43:51 MDT 2000

On 26 Oct 2000 at 05:25:11, dobbster modified my mailspool to say:

> I didn't know that...  But if I run a single virtual server, it seems
> like it might work.

Depends on the type of virtual server... name-based: yes. IP-based: no.

> The consensus received thus far is to have a DMZ, so I might try to
> figure out how to arrange that instead.

Yeah... with 64 IPs, you want a DMZ.

> > > So far, I've been using Mandrake 6.x/7.x.  I use the stock "secure"
> > > kernel, and I have the services protected by
> >
> > What is secure about the "secure kernel"?
>
> Well, it says 2.2.15-4mdksecure.  Other than that I have no clue.

Hmmm... this is why I roll my own kernels. I really don't trust RHAT,
Debian, or anyone else to get it right (for me).

Also, making a non-modular kernel on firewall/secure systems is recommended
as well, and typically, distro kernels can support all the weird hardware
under the sun because they have (surprise!) module support.

I asked about what "secure" meant because I was wondering if they're using
the "secure-linux" patch or what; I highly recommend it as well:
http://www.openwall.com/linux/

> Definitely...  I wish they had something like that here!  How do people
> learn all of this stuff, anyway?

Osmosis, mostly.

Sometimes, one can be forced to learn by a script-kiddie or other black
hat.

Let me tell you, this is NOT the most fun way to have to learn this stuff.

Later,
Paul