[NCLUG] Network configuration

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Thu Oct 26 01:06:54 MDT 2000

On 26 Oct 2000 at 00:54:46, Quent modified my mailspool to say:

> Of course; exactly! There is no panacea.

The problem is, stupid people (i.e. skr1p7 k1dd13s) think there is.

> If I run apache as root and someone can use CGI to get a shell, I can't
> expect the kernel to prevent bloody holes from appearing in my foot :-)

It's funny though... new Linux/BSD converts think it can, though, because
they don't know what they're doing (I'm applying this statement, again, to
the script kiddies who heard about this Linux-thing on IRC).

> It seems like most port scanning comes from boxes that have been cracked.
> The owners are usually unaware.

In this case, the kid was a script kiddie, and his "l33t' friend told him
that if he installed OpenBSD, he could do whatever he wanted w/o getting
caught.

I know... I called him.

I hate arrogant little jerks like that...

Of course, he was pretty shocked that I was talking to him on the phone...
but he was still too stupid to figure out how I did it... he thought I
called the cable company.

> I mentioned the stateful packet filter, ipf, but I think dynamic rules
> are something more.  That would be very cool to have!

Well, I was talking about a stateful packet filter... I couldn't remember
what it was called. :-)

Later,
Paul