[NCLUG] Network configuration

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Oct 26 18:14:05 MDT 2000

On Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 09:34:07PM -0600, Quent wrote:
>FRII gave you a /26? That's a big chunk of IP space!

For relatively large values of "gave".  It used to be that a static IP from
FRII was $5 per month, and a block of them was $10 per year, based on how
many addresses you actually could justify.  In the past year they've
changed that and it's now a monthly charge based on how many addresses
you have.

>I wouldn't be surprised to see a P-75 firewall have idle CPU time
>on a 256K line. It could also handle DNS for a few zones.

I think Alan Robertson was saying that his 256kbps DSL line was using
less than 10% CPU on his old 486 box acting at the gateway.

>Since you don't have a large pipe to the Internet I don't think it makes
>sense to build a web farm.  Why not use virtual sites on one server? Why
>not build a faster machine, which could host multiple domains, and

Unless you're doing a buttload of complex CGIs...

>Besides, how much web traffic can a 256K line handle? Remember that you
>really only have 13Kbps of bandwidth and will pay extra money to FRII
>for any average utilization that goes above that.  So now you're talking

For residential users the average seems to be higher (or at least we have
a higher quota on our home line than our office line).  I think it's
16kbps for the office line.  But, you're right.  FRII wants, IIRC, $3
per average kilobit over the quota.  So, saturating that DSL line would
lead to a nice, fat grand+ bill.

 You think your Commodore 64 is really neato.
 What kinda chip you got in there, a Dorito?  -- Weird Al