[NCLUG] Network configuration

dobbster dobbster at frii.com
Sat Oct 28 02:51:09 MDT 2000

>    all isp's have down time. what you really need to think about is a second
> connection if you are going to run production servers. that way you can
> route around problems with your upstreams.
>
>    your dsl outage was actually planned. frii has built a (real nice) new
> area for their servers and networking equipment that will also server as a
> colocation facility. friday morning they moved some of their equipment.
> there is a list that frii customers can subsribe to that announces these
> planned outages. friday morning (something like 3-6) is their regularly
> scheduled maintenance window.

True.  I'm on the FRII mailing lists and I should have been ready for
their Friday maintenance.  I guess it just caught me off guard at the
time (my work hours are a bit weird).  At the moment, I can't afford any
redundancy.  Anyway, we've tentatively decided that it'd be best to just
colocate the servers for now.  We have one in Verinet's basement and so
far it's worked perfectly.  I suppose this will move to the new FRII
colocation facility you mentioned soon.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of the feedback I've received
over these issues.  I think the folks on NCLUG have already saved me
from some major pitfalls.

Mark (dobbster at frii.com)