[NCLUG] ide-scsi question

Matt Taggart matt at lackof.org
Sat Oct 28 13:44:40 MDT 2000

Bill Thorson writes...

> I just installed RH 7.0 (not a great idea) and have one question.
> What is the proper way in RH to force the loading of a module?

I don't know about RH7 but the normal way of doing this is by adding the
module name to /etc/modules.

> I have a CDRW
> so I wish to load the ide-scsi module to allow writing.  Of course it
> seems this needs to take place before rh decides to give the device a
> /dev/hd? name.  How do I do this in redhat so I can uses tools like cdrecord
> and xcdroast.

I also had an IDE CDRW and had to preload the ide-scsi module to get xcdroast
to work. If you don't have other scsi in the system you might be able to do
something tricky like "alias scsi ide-scsi" in /etc/modules.conf. Then maybe
it would auto-load when xcdroast tried to use the scsi bus. Just an idea....

--
Matt Taggart
matt at lackof.org