[NCLUG] Two easy? security questions...

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Mon Sep 4 23:42:03 MDT 2000

On Mon, 4 Sep 2000, dobbster wrote:

> I'd rather not bother the ISPs.  Most of the time they seem to ignore
> my complaints anyway.

Unfortunately, that seems to be the case...

> > http://www.linux-firewall-tools.com has more info, including an automated
> > firewall script generator.
> >
> > The fine folks over at tummy.com also have IsinGlass, which works quite
> > nicely: http://www.tummy.com/isinglass
>
> Thanks...  I'll check both of these places out. It sounds as if some
> of these tools might provide me additional protection.
>
> I do have ipchains configured into my kernel already. Where would I set
> the deny rule?  (inetd.sec?)

No, you set the rules in another file; you can really do it anywhere you
want; I use to do it in /etc/rc.d/rc.local on my RedHat system, and now I
have rc.local call rc.network, which sets up some virtual interfaces, and
also calls rc.firewall, which has all my rules in it.

If you use linux-firewall-tools.com, you'd place the output from the
website in a firewall like rc.firewall; if you use isinglass, they
probably have a procedure documented.

> Is port 143 (Imap) a popular one for these kinds of attacks?  I am
> rather new to this...

Yeah, IMAP had a lot of root compromises awhile ago, so it's one of the
more popular ports for script kiddies target if they're just trying "0Wn
J00z."

Later,
Paul
  J. Paul Reed                preed at sigkill.com || web.sigkill.com/preed
  If you put a gun to my head and said  "Name ten great bands that have
  come out in the last 5 years," you'd be wiping my brains off the wall.
                                                         -- Trent Reznor