[NCLUG] Mail servers

Prescott Oelke panick at excite.com
Sun Sep 17 10:43:47 MDT 2000

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000 16:20:39 -0600, nclug at nclug.org wrote:

>  You're probably trying to talk to mail.home.com or news.home.com.  On
>  my subnet, the mail server's name is ``mail.ftclns1.co.home.com''.
>  Similarly, the news server is ``news.ftclns1.co.home.com''.  Of
>  course, you may not be on ftclns1.co.home.com, so figure out your IP
>  address and use nslookup(1) or host(1) or something to figure out what
>  it should be.  You may want to add ``ftclns1.co.home.com'' or your
>  equivalent to the search list in /etc/resolv.conf.
>
>  HTH
>
>  Aaron

I've discovered that my hostname wasn't set correctly. It was set to
localhost (duh!). Basically once I reset my hostname to
<hostname>.ftclns1.co.home.com (where <hostname> is whatever little
alphanumeric sequence @home assigned you) just typing in mail as the mail
server and news as the news server worked fine. Of course setting the Mail
server and the news server like you said works even when my hostname was
wrong :) Oh well, live and learn.

Prescott Oelke