[NCLUG] dynamic graph on web page

Bill Thorson thorson at typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu
Thu Sep 21 22:28:04 MDT 2000

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, Daniel Herrington wrote:

> NCLUGers,
>
> Does anyone know of a canned linux solution (or not-canned) to create
> an up-to-date X-Y graph of some constantly changing data from a file
> and display it whenever someone clicks on a weblink?  I would like to
> be able to set up a little weather station and track the last 24 hour
> period on a web page.

Personally, I use gnuplot for these types of graphs.  Runs fast,
makes nice and simple XY plots, no complicated data format.  With
a little tweaking they can look rather nice too.  Outputs dozens of
formats and I think PNG is one of them.  It's free!
http://www.gnuplot.org/

You could also see what the Colorado Climate Center uses to display
the Ft. Collins weather station.  I know the author but I'm not sure
how he does his pages.  He is a perl hacker for many years thought.
He would probably share his scripts if asked.
http://ccc.atmos.colostate.edu/cgi-bin/wx_form.pl

Bill