[NCLUG] tool to send commands to xwindows app?

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at alumbre-tech.com
Tue Sep 26 11:02:38 MDT 2000

Daniel Herrington wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> I have an xwindows program that I would like to control with a batch
> file that sends commands to the xwindows program.  I looked at
> "expect," but it appears to only be able to interact with command-line
> programs, or programs that accept input from STDIN.
>
> Does anyone know of a program to allow me to do this?  I guess I
> probably need something that sends X events to a running application.

Oh, man... This note may be completly useless to you, but I hope it
at least gives you a place to look...  Once upon a time, in a land
far far away, (in the comp.?.X.sources newsgroup, if I recall)
there was a program, whose name I cannot recall, that could be used
to send window events to remote X sessions.  I used it to play jokes
on friends, by making their windows slip away.  I'm not sure if it
is able to generate click events, but it might be able to...

Oh my god!  I still have it!!  It is called xwit: X Windows Interface
Tool.  It is able to move the mouse!  So, I don't know how useful
it will be to you, but I have it.  If you cannot find it, (its
apparently been packaged for both Debian and RPM, so it shouldn't
be too difficult to find) I can mail you a copy.