[NCLUG] FROST Fowler and PPJDG (fwd from: jim at densmore.org)

Evelyn Mitchell efm at tummy.com
Wed Sep 27 18:19:09 MDT 2000

----- Forwarded message from Jim Densmore <jim at densmore.org> -----

To: frostgroup at egroups.com
From: "Jim Densmore" <jim at densmore.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 00:18:05 -0000
Subject: FROST Fowler and PPJDG

FROST Group, I have two announcements:

    1)  A talk in Colorado Springs on October 25 by Martin Fowler,
        hosted by the Pikes Peak Chapter ACM and by Colorado Tech.

    2)  A talk by Kevin Minard and hosted by the Pikes Peak Java
        Development Group on Implementing MVC in a web-based
        application using JSP, XML, XSL and Servlets.

Martin Fowler is the author of <A
HREF="http://www.bestwebprice.com/refactoring.htm">Refactoring</A>
and
several other excellent texts, including one on UML whose title
escapes me at the moment.  I will be passing out more information on
him and on his talk soon.

Martin Fowler's talk will be at 5:00pm at Colorado Technical
University on Wednesday October 25th.  Please plan on attending, I
know you'll enjoy the talk.

  --  --  --

This information on Kevin Minard's talk was passed to me by PPJDG.
They are desirous of obtaining a head count, so if you believe you
will attend, please respond to Greg Playle mailto:gplayle at rmi.net .

Title: Implementing MVC in a web-based application using JSP,
XML, XSL and Servlets

Abstract: MVC is a design pattern that decouples views and
models by establishing an abstraction layer between them.
Applying MVC to web-based applications has additional
benefits:

1.   Output can be customized for the interacting device
     (Internet Explorer, Netscape, WAP Phone, Palm Pilot, ?)

2.   Presentation format (HTML, WML) and java code can be
     neatly separated

In this presentation, I will discuss an architecture that
uses JSP, XML, XSL and Servlets to implement MVC. In this
architecture, Servlets play the role of the controller, JSPs
and XSL play the role of the view and XML will play the role
of the model.

This presentation will include a brief Power Point slide
presentation as well as a sample implementation including
code.

Bio:
Kevin Minard has been a Software Developer for over 8 years.
He has over 3 years of Java development experience as a
consultant/contractor developing both Client/Server and
n-tier systems.   He recently took a position with Bluestone
Software as a Senior Sales Engineer where he evangelizes and
demonstrates the benefits of J2EE based applications.

No blistered feet. No crowd. No travel. Intraware invites you to attend
a virtual tradeshow: Ensuring Scalable and Secure E-Business Systems.
http://click.egroups.com/1/9219/8/_/672074/_/970100321/

FROST (http://www.frostgroup.org) Community addresses:
  Post message:  frostgroup at onelist.com
  (un)Subscribe: frostgroup-(un)subscribe at onelist.com

Shortcut URL:    http://www.onelist.com/community/frostgroup

----- End forwarded message -----

--
http://www.tummy.com/ Consulting and Software for Linux and Unix
KRUD - Kevin's Red Hat Uber Distribution - the Freshest Red Hat every month