[NCLUG] another samba question

S. Luke Jones luke at frii.com
Sat Apr 21 10:40:09 MDT 2001

I've got two windows machines:

	kitchen - the machine in the kitchen
	basement - the machine next to this one

they're connected to each other using Diamond MM HomePNA
phone-line networking and that works, to the extent that
anything in windows-land can be said to work. They appear
to work equally well when I attach the NetBEUI protocol
to the HomePNA adapters instead of TCP/IP. TCP/IP would
be preferred, but all that has to work is file sharing so
I can back up my wife's files, i.e., TurboTax data. (The
samba docs suggest -- if I read them correctly -- that I
want to use TCP/IP anyway, but I'm not picky.)

'basement' also has a PCI NE2K clone NIC and I'm trying
to use it to connect to my real computer, viz. this here
Linux box.

I can't figure out any way to make 'basement' (much less
'kitchen', which I've written off for this exercise) see
the "workgroup" that this Samba box is on. I've got my
laptop from work connected and it sees the workgroup just
fine, but for some reason, 'basement' can't see it.

I've tried jiggling TCP/IP vs. NetBEUI and I've tried to
specify an IP address rather than use the DHCP server on
the Linux box. Whether I use DHCP or hand-specified IP
addresses, I've made sure they're part of the same subnet
(255.0.0.0, since I use a 10. net here at home) and I am
just plum stumped.

Any ideas?

--
Luke Jones = luke/vortex/frii/fullstop/com