[NCLUG] mac fs on cd

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Apr 24 19:26:57 MDT 2001

Jim> Hi all, Been following the postings for a while now and picked up
Jim> a few good tips along the way, so far somebody else has always
Jim> seemed to ask/ answer what I need to know just before I need to
Jim> know it:) til now that is...

Jim> I'm trying to copy a cd thats in mac format (hfs) and need to
Jim> know if this is something thats even possible from a pc. I can
Jim> read the cd after rebuilding my kernel with hfs support built in
Jim> as a module, then type "mount -t hfs /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom". Now
Jim> what I want to do is just burn a copy of this disk for a friend
Jim> onto another cd. Any suggestions? I'm running RedHat 7.1 with
Jim> stock parts ;) (all the files installed are rpm's from the
Jim> cd... nothing funky). I've built the kernel with generic scsi and
Jim> general scsi support for the cd burner, but haven't actually gone
Jim> on with trying to burn any disks so I have a little RTFM'n to go
Jim> yet... but I'm working on that.

ok, if you are just copying an existing hfs cd, it should be pretty
easy, just put the cd in and do:

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=mac-hfs-cd.img

Then you will have the image on your drive (provided you have enough
room. ;)

If your burner is a ide one, you need to do:

rmmod cdrom
rmmod ide-cd

then:

modprobe ide-scsi

This loads the ide-scsi emulation. Note that you have to have ide-cd
and cdrom as modules so you can unload them, since the ide-scsi can't
talk to the drive when the ide-cd has it. ;(

Anyhow, once thats done you just do:

cdrecord -v dev=0,0,0 mac-hfs-cd.img

and it will write it out to cd.

Hope that helps out...