[NCLUG] Star Office and email

mike cullerton michaelc at cullerton.com
Wed Apr 25 22:27:12 MDT 2001

on 4/25/01 1:49 PM, Mark Sizer at mrsizer at home.com wrote:

> Does anyone use Star Office email filters?
>
> I have it set up to automagically dump mail from the various lists I
> subscribe to (including this one) into folders. However, the "Date" on
> the message becomes the date/time when the message is transferred to the
> folder, not when it was sent.
>
> I'm tired of reading messages out-of-order, but leaving them all in my
> InBox clogs it up. Any thoughts?

i've never used star office for mail, but you could use procmail to break
the messages out before they get to star office. procmail doesn't change the
date. (or atleast not the way i have it configured. my understanding is that
procmail can do lots of stuff)

the config file for procmail is way wacked at first. atleast it was for me.
i just copied one from someone and messed with it. here's the top of my
.procmailrc file

> PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
> MAILDIR=$HOME/mail      #you'd better make sure it exists
> # DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/mbox   #completely optional
> LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/debug   #recommended

this is some global config stuff.

> :0:
> * ^Return-Path:.*list-owner-michaelc=frii.net at inet-access.net*
> inet-access

this is the cool stuff. the second line here is a regular expression of
sorts looking for a line (a header) with "Return-Path ..." in it. all
messages containing that line get put into a "folder" called inet-access.

most lists have some unigue mail header you can search on.

hope this helps,
mike

 -- mike cullerton