[NCLUG] WTT(B): Older sun

eric dahlman eric at lossage.org
Thu Apr 26 14:36:12 MDT 2001

"Michael Dwyer" <mdwyer at sixthdimension.com> writes:

> > I am trying to track down an older Sun something with a VME bus.  I
> > don't care if it is a sun 3 or 4, however, my wife would prefer that
> > is on the smaller side, a 4/110 would be perfect.  I know that several
> > of these were sold at the CSU auction several years ago and that some
> > people had been running Linux on them.
> >
> > If you happen to have one of these in your basement I would like to
> > trade a Sparc Station 2 with monitor running linux for it.  I know
> > that is like trading a Pacer for a Vega ;-) I would also be willing to
> > spend a little on it if you are not impressed with my trade in
> > offer...
>
> I have a bunch of Sun 4/330s in my basement.  They are far from
> "small" however.  I wouldn't mind seeing them go.  They are neat
> geek furniture, but that's about it.

I found a picture of one of those on the net at
http://www.obsolyte.com/sunPICS/sparc_vme/sun4_330.jpg I was going to
ask whether yours looked like that until I saw that the photo was
credited to you ;-).  I am curious about the scale though is this the
*really big case* with 12 VME slots?  I would be interested in one even
if it is.

> If I may ask, what in the world are YOU going to be able to use
> them for? :)

I have a Symbolics XL400 Lisp machine which needs to live in a VME bus
sun.  It is kind of the same idea as those PC cards you can get for
suns now-a-days.  I used to have a XL1200 which was a stand alone Lisp
machine but it has a bad trace on the mother board.  It is nothing
blazingly fast but it is a fun toy.

-Eric