[Re: [NCLUG] No desktop manager]

M Butcher mbutcher at aleph-null.tv
Thu Apr 26 18:15:18 MDT 2001

Sorry... to clarify, can you run the command 'ps -ef' on the command line and
post the results to the list. That might help us identify if the window
manager is running at all.

It should look like this (except longer):

[root at aleph /]# ps -ef
UID        PID  PPID  C STIME TTY          TIME CMD
root         1     0  0 Mar04 ?        00:00:07 init [5]
root         2     1  0 Mar04 ?        00:00:00 [kflushd]
root         3     1  0 Mar04 ?        00:00:42 [kupdate]
root         4     1  0 Mar04 ?        00:00:19 [kswapd]
root         5     1  0 Mar04 ?        00:00:00 [mdrecoveryd]
root        32     1  0 Mar04 ?        00:00:00 [open]

Here's what I'd suggest:

After you've logged in, try pressing ctrl-alt-F1. It should bring you to a
command line. Login, and then enter the 'ps -ef' command. What you are
looking for (specifically) is sawfish, gnome, or some indication that
whatever window manager you are running is actually somewhere in there.

To get back from the command line, logout ('exit'), and then type CTRL-ALT-F7
(if that doesn't work, try some of the other F keys).

Alternatively, when you boot into linux, when you get the LILO prompt, type
'linux 3', which will boot you into runlevel three instead of runlevel 5 --
that means you will boot to command line, not x-windows. From there, it might
be easier to troubleshoot. In fact, the first thing I would do from there is
type 'startx', and see if that works.

Well, I apologize for my verbosity. Hope it helps. And if you've already
gotten hundreds of mails saying the same thing, I apologize again... I kinda
intercepted this thread right in the middle, so I don't really know what
others have suggested.

Matt