[NCLUG] Correction - Re: Not Code Red (another Code Red topic)

dobbster dobbster at dobbster.com
Tue Aug 7 18:19:21 MDT 2001

> Yes.  I have a Cisco 675.  Disabling the web access seemed to do the trick last
> week, but this weekend it started crashing again.  I called FRII and they
> suggested I update the CBOS.  They pointed me to
> http://www.qwest.com/dsl/customerservice/win675ups.html for doing this in
> Windows, using hyperterm to transfer the CBOS image via xmodem.  They said this
> was the only method they support and that I would "void everything" if I
> attempted it in Linux (tftp, minicom, etc.)

I wrote this a several days ago, before the 'set web port' fix was known.
Another list member brought to my attention that it's not completely accurate.

The FRII folks had pointed me to the Qwest site, and I tried the CBOS update,
which didn't work.  I later called Qwest, and they were the ones who made the
comment about "voiding everything" and not supporting Linux, tftp, etc.  They
also eventually concluded that I had faulty hardware.  It's now obvious that the
problem was Code Red 2.

The point is that my message may have given the impression that FRII's tech
support people gave me the runaround.  This was an error on my part - I didn't
mean to sound like I was putting down FRII's tech support.  Actually, they've
been very helpful a number of times, and they always try.  I would not say the
same about Qwest.  I have been very unhappy with USWest/Qwest for years, for
many reasons, and every time I deal with them they give me new reasons.  They're
near M$ on my list of least favorite corporations.  (Yet I know that this isn't
the place to rant about such things, so I'll leave it at that.)

I apologize if I caused any confusion...

Mark