[NCLUG] Egress Filtering

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Wed Aug 15 00:12:47 MDT 2001

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, John L. Bass wrote:

> I suppose you raise this to make an important point?

I just think it's ironic and mildly humorous... nothing more, nothing less.

If I really cared about it, I'd put some actual effort into a response.

Having said that, I think everyone who's been on this list since the early
days of NCLUG is happy that I'm not going to do that.

Anyway, YDTM, YMMV, VWPBL, LAAETTR, IANAL, and all that other good stuff...

> FYI - regarding 80 col's - not that many years back when I still
> exclusively used my DataMedia DT80 as the ascii console of my home DEC
> LSI 11/73 UNIX system I used to gripe to others about 80 col violations.
> I basically was told to get real, get out of the dark ages, and get a
> modern user interface. Shortly after I replaced the 11/73 with an SGI
> 3D25 Personal IRIS system with a 20" monitor. Now about half the mail I
> get originates on a system that only uses LF as a paragraph break.
> Clearly the 1960's concept of 80 col unit record I/O is pretty much dead.
>
> I personally find the replys that indent quoted material and proceed to
> line wrap them to 75 cols much more objectionable and hard to read.

To quote Bart Simpson:

   Reporter: I see.  And what's your name, son?

   Bart:     I'm Bart Simpson.  Who the hell are you?

   Reporter: Heh heh.  I'm Dave Shutton.  I'm an investigative reporter
             who's on the road a lot and, uh, I must say that in my day,
             we didn't talk that way to our elders.

   Bart:     Well, this is my day, and we do, sir.

Points if you can get me the episode number.

Later,
Paul