[NCLUG] can't install KDE on my Debian machine due to libasound1 - help!

Ed ed at telesto-eng.com
Wed Aug 15 09:40:58 MDT 2001

Howdy all!

I have a laptop running the debian distribution.

I was trying to switch to kde but dselect came up with an
error. Here's what happens when I try to install the kdebase-libs
package:

mikado:/etc/ppp# apt-get install kdebase-libs
Reading Package Lists... 0%
Reading Package Lists... 100%
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... 0%
Building Dependency Tree... 0%
Building Dependency Tree... 50%
Building Dependency Tree... 50%
Building Dependency Tree... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

  kdebase-libs: Depends: libasound1 (>= 0.5.5) but it is not installable
E: Sorry, broken packages
mikado:/etc/ppp#

WHen I try to get libasound1, I have no luck:

mikado:/etc/ppp# apt-get install libasound1
Reading Package Lists... 0%
Reading Package Lists... 100%
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... 0%
Building Dependency Tree... 0%
Building Dependency Tree... 50%
Building Dependency Tree... 50%
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Package libasound1 has no available version, but exists in the database.
This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency and
never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the contents
of sources.list
E: Package libasound1 has no installation candidate

Now what do I do?

Thanks!

Ed Hartnett

--