[NCLUG] Any roll your own computer jocks on the list?

Mark Fassler fassler at monkeysoft.net
Thu Aug 16 00:36:32 MDT 2001

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 07:04:07PM -0600, John L. Bass wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Anybody here into building your own computer type projects, and I'm not talking
> about assembling commerical components?
>
> But rather, maybe doing a special open hardware project? Special I/O board?
> A high tech portable/warable project? Cool bust ass server/home machine?

I have an AMD-300 running in a tiny, little Sun box.  The case is about
3.5" tall by 8" wide by 8" deep.  Hacked together myself.  Does that count
for anything?  :-)   I've also done the Linux-on-I-Opener hack (but that
was someone else's hack that I just followed).

I was working on putting a small motherboard into the back of an LCD
monitor, so I'd have this whole nifty, little "thin client" thing (a lot
like the Linux-on-I-Opener, but with better hardware).  That was a pretty
big undertaking - never got it finished.  But I could still pick up right
where I left off, if someone else had a mutual interest.

I've also had a hankering to make a 2U by 10" deep rackmount server - but
that wouldn't be anything that you couldn't just buy elsewhere.

Why do you ask?

-Mark