[NCLUG] samba share question

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Tue Aug 21 17:11:44 MDT 2001

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Jim Ankrum wrote:

> I have a FreeBSD machine that has Samba set up on it and all my Windows
> machines just love it :)
>
> What I'm trying to figure out now is when I'm in Linux how do I mount the
> shares without being root? If I as jim try to "mount -t smbfs
> //192.168.1.1/jim /home/jim/samba" I get "mount :only root can do that" I
> type the same as root, it asks for the password, I enter it and viola!
> I'm there.
>
> Here at home I can just add some stuff to /etc/rc.local to mount the
> share at boot and be done with it. I'm the only one here that can read
> it. This can't be the best way to do it though. What would be the best
> way to handle this in an environment where security is an issue?

Take a look at smbmount; I don't use samba on a daily basis, but I'm pretty
sure that's the "user" utility for mounting shares wherever you want within
your own directory space.

> One other thing... I haven't looked yet but since I mounted my user
> directory as root are any files I modify owned by root? That would suck
> :p

If it's like any other standard Unix mount, no. If you have permissions to
write to the mountpoint, then it doesn't matter who mounted it; it will
have the ownership of the UID that created it.

One caveat, though: SMB may map UIDs and do odd things with file creation
if you're mounting something that has no concept of UIDs... it's been
awhile since I've had to deal with Win boxes and Samba.

Later,
Paul