[NCLUG] samba share question

Jim Ankrum jimankrum at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 21 19:42:29 MDT 2001

"Theodore A. Roth" wrote:

> try man 2 chmod
>
> To make a program setuid root, do the following as root:
>
>   chown root <prog>
>   chmod 4755 <prog>
>
> That's it, although is most cases setuid programs are _bad_.

cool! That worked :) now, since I'm at home I'm not really sweating the
security like I would be if "real data" was on the line so I can use it
like this.

from the man page it looks like the 4 in 4755 means set user id on
execution (owned by root, run as if root had executed it) if I'm reading
it right. according to man open the 7 looks like owner has read write
and execute permission? if it were 4255 the 2 would be writeable by
owner? where can I find a list of all the ummm... digits? like what do
the 5's mean?

another question... I understand setuid can be bad, can make a security
hole if done improperly. would this be a good use of sudo? I've never
used sudo myself but have a vague idea about what it does.

Thanks,
Jim