[NCLUG] NIC that won't quite seat in PCI slot...

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Mon Aug 27 00:22:30 MDT 2001

"S. Luke Jones" wrote:
> There's this notch in the card that straddles the little ...
> uh, anti-notch in the PCI connector, and it's off by about 1
> or 2 mm. I can force it down a little further, but the sweat
> from my forehead as I think about ruining my spanking new PC
> runs down and blurs my vision whenever I start to try it.

I'm not sure I understand your problem, exactly.  Are you saying
that it looks like Linksys cut the card wrong?  I guess it is
possible, but I have never seen a badly-cut card.  I've seen a
number of them that aren't quite adjusted right to screw down
into the slot, though.

My cheap-o bought-off-eBay case is just far enough out of spec
that if I tighted the screws on the cards, they pop out of their
slots.  I tried loosening the little metal plate on all my cards
and trying to nudge them far enough away, but that didn't do it.

So I went to the hardware store, got a baggie of little brass
washers, and increased the height of all my motherboard standoffs.

Its been working great!