[NCLUG] NIC that won't quite seat in PCI slot...

S. Luke Jones luke at frii.com
Mon Aug 27 07:02:20 MDT 2001

Michael Dwyer wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand your problem, exactly.  Are you saying
> that it looks like Linksys cut the card wrong?  I guess it is
> possible, but I have never seen a badly-cut card.  I've seen a
> number of them that aren't quite adjusted right to screw down
> into the slot, though.

> So I went to the hardware store, got a baggie of little brass
> washers, and increased the height of all my motherboard standoffs.

Maybe Linksys did cut it wrong. Or maybe its in spec but their error
is in one direction and Gigabyte/In-Win's error is in the other. But
the AGP and at least one other PCI card are positioned pretty much
just right, so I tend to blame the Linksys card.

Somewhere around here I've got a 3com 3c59x card so I'm going to see
(a) if I can locate it and (b) if it will fit.

--
Luke Jones = luke/vortex/frii/fullstop/com