[NCLUG] new X installation

Eric Brunson brunson at level3.net
Mon Dec 3 10:07:07 MST 2001

The latest XF86 looks for its config file in /etc/X11/XF86Config by
default and I think /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 will be preferred over it if
it exists.  To remove all doubt, look at /var/log/XFree86.0.log and it
will tell you where it is looking.

I haven't had much luck with Xconfigurator since 4.x, I'm not even
sure if it isn't a legacy thing from 3, other people may disagree with
me, your milage may vary.  I've had the best success lately using:
'X -configure' which attempts to probe your hardware and generate a
base config that you can then tweak.  In most cases I've only had to
reduce my screen resolution to something I prefer over the 1600x1200
it usually selects, though on my laptop I had to force it to use the
external vid rather than the LCD.

Finally, once you have X running, Xf86cfg is the best tool I've found
for adding devices.  I say after you have it running because I'm not
sure which release -textmode, the first version of 4.x I got from
redhat didn't.  And for *no* apparent reason, the utility doesn't look
in the correct place for its config file, you have to specify it with
the '-xf86config' option.

* William Dan Terry (william.terry at knotworks.com) [011203 09:43]: