[NCLUG] Cable Modem Refugees

Matthew Wilcox willy at debian.org
Mon Dec 3 16:12:15 MST 2001

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 04:02:50PM -0700, Michael Dwyer wrote:
> Personally, I'm more annoyed with the complete loss of static IPs.  Its
> gonna be hellish to track down my MP3s^H^H^H^H important business
> documents from work, now!  On the other hand, one of my recent projects
> at work was a little tool to enable one to find a machine out in the
> dynamic world... Hmmmm.

well... if you have a fixed machine you can ssh to, I do the following:

while true; do nc -l -p 65531; done >ip-addr&

on host.example.com, then on dialup.example.com, i have in the /etc/ppp/ip-up.local file (OK, it's RH, so shoot me...):
ADDR=`/sbin/ifconfig ppp0 |grep 'inet addr' | \
	sed -e "s/.*addr://" -e "s/  .*$//"`
echo $ADDR  | nc host.example.com 65531

Really, I should set up dynamic dns, but that's more hassle than I'm
willing to go to with a decrepit RH setup.