[NCLUG] Cable Modem Refugees

Chris Wolney chris at wolney.com
Mon Dec 3 16:22:18 MST 2001

The need for bandwidth was reaching critical mass for me on Sunday, when I
shamed myself by actually picking up an AOL CD at the movie theatre.  I am
still doing some soul-searching on that one.

> Michael Dwyer wrote:
>
> The bandwidth cap was already in effect, I guess.  Upstream, at least.
> Now AT&T says that they are capping downstream to 1.5Mb/s -- which is
> still T1 speeds, so I don't think I have too much room to argue.  On the
> other hand, I was checking into DirecTV DSL, where they give you 256k up
> and 768k down with a static address for the same price as my cable
> modem.  I'd jump for that (or a FRII product, probably) if only DSL was
> in my neighborhood...

1.5Mb/s cap?  Bah.  No problems there.  Sounds like I was reading some FUD
on the various web-boards.  One thing I hear is that the news server
connection for many was peaking at 150KB/sec vs the 3-400KB/sec they were
previously able to get.  I used to dig that connection for grabbing stuff
from the .binaries. groups.  Who knows the way things will be once the
network shakes down.

> Personally, I'm more annoyed with the complete loss of static IPs.  Its
> gonna be hellish to track down my MP3s^H^H^H^H important business
> documents from work, now!  On the other hand, one of my recent projects
> at work was a little tool to enable one to find a machine out in the
> dynamic world... Hmmmm.

FWIW, I've heard talk of www.tzo.com and www.dns2go.com.  They both offer
Linux clients, but I have not used them.  I was also looking for a link to
the "new" AUP for aatbi that prohibited the use of these dynamic DNS agents,
but can't locate it.  Apparently the lease on our IP's will be much shorter
now.  I had the same IP ever since I'd been hooked up on @home, but from
people's attbi reports, that's going to change.

-Chris