[NCLUG] VMWare Express vs Win4Linux

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Wed Dec 5 11:30:48 MST 2001

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001 kensharon.morris at att.net wrote:

> I looked into VMware and tried a couple of versions Suse and Redhat...had
> problems so ...

I'd like to put a vote in for VMWare (I got the full Workstation edition
for $99--the 'hobbyist' price--back when they still had that deal).

I received Win4Lin disks as part of a LUG promotion, and had nothing but
problems. VMWare installed correctly the first time, and just worked (tm).

> Only disadvantage is you have to modify kernel, but it is worth it and
> fairly easy to do since I am a novice to Linux.

Note that VMWare requires you modify your kernel as well... or more
accurately, requires that you install some VMWare modules in a running
kernel.

I think I had to patch the kernel with Win4Lin (i.e. no modules)... VMWare
is definitely better in this regard because Win4Lin needed  a specific
patchfile for each kernel, whereas you could compile the modules for VMWare
from scratch, if you needed to.

> Little more money (79-89$) but worth the no- problems issue.

I'd say that, only for VMWare... ;-)

Later,
Paul